Bipolar mood disorder is characterized by at least one elevated period called “hypo-manic” and “depressives episodes“.
Clinical manifestations in the hypo-manic states :
- The mood is elated, irritable, or hostile.
- Inflated self-esteem and boasting.
- Buying sprees and foolish business investments.
- Racing thoughts and destructibility.
- Deceased need for sleep and increased sexual desire.
- Psycho-motor acceleration.
Other patients have false convictions of personal wealth or grandiose identity. Fleeting auditory and visual hallucinations are sometimes present.
(Edited by Dr. María Moya Guirao, MD)